Janet and Richard Baxter were starting two new businesses inspired by their love for bees and beekeeping. Richard had a full line of beekeeping services and delicious honey to sell. Janet made soaps, lip balms, and lotions, and also taught soap making classes. She also wanted to sell candles and soap-making supplies. Like many of my clients, Janet and Richard knew they needed a website to get their business off the ground. They also needed marketing collateral including logos, business cards, product labels, and a banner for trade shows.
- Janet and Richard wanted one site for all of the services and products.
- The site needed to highlight services while offering a wide sampling of e-Commerce products.
- And like all sites these days, it needed to be mobile responsive.
- The site content needed to be optimized for SEO.
The task seemed overwhelming to this couple who just wanted to get their business up and running as quickly as possible.
Together we created a marketing plan for both businesses and the necessary steps were outlined, prioritized and broken into a manageable To Do List:
- Create compatible logos and a unifying tag line.
- Determine colors for the site.
- Decide exactly which services and products to be included.
- Create site layout map and site navigation strategy.
- Write page content.
- Photograph products. Write product descriptions.
- Select and purchase images for services pages.
- Design pages layout in Photoshop.
- Create Databases for e-Commerce.
- Build mobile responsive site.
Janet, Richard and I worked closely to decide upon the branding. We wanted the site to have a ‘country-clean’ feeling and to have the images/content reflect their values. Once the collaborative phase ended, Janet and Richard trusted my artistic and creative sensibilities to make it happen. I photographed the products, wrote the content and created the database for e-commerce. Once the site was built, the other marketing collateral were created; business cards, product labels, and banners.
I’m proud to say that 4 years later, Golden Harvest Bees is thriving. I’m proud to be a part of their success.